The Department of Neonatology at FMRI is committed to the study, diagnosis, treatment and prevention of problems occuring in the foetal, intra-partum, and neonatal periods. This care extends to providing insightful information and sympathetic care to the families of such patients.
We have a multi-disciplinary team of professionals with experts in all areas of medicine, nursing, respiratory therapy, nutrition, pharmacology, psychosocial services, rehabilitation medicine and biomedical engineering. Besides providing best-in-class technologies, our emphasis also lies on delivering care in a way that supports optimal growth of the new-born infant and incorporating the family into care-plan actions.
Our Neonatology Unit (NICU) offers specialty care for:
- Premature and growth retarded babies
- Breathing and other respiratory disorders
- Congenital malformations
- Gastrointestinal disorders
- Heart disease
- Hematologic disorders
- Inherited metabolic disorders
- Genetics problems
- Neurologic problems
- Babies with birth defects
- Neonatal Surgery
The Department provides for healthcare services for new-borns in an environment that is:
- Developmentally appropriate
- Family centric
- Functional, safe and comfortable
- Technologically up to date and able to meet any needs
We strive to nurture caregivers, while supporting and allowing them to ensure babies’ optimum results. All members of our division exhibit kindness, compassion and respect for each other and all cultures.
Our staff clearly understands the value of a new-born in your life and therefore we welcome the new member with specialised care and attention as they enter the world. We have the right expertise and gentle touch to provide the best care they deserve.
Our department of neonatology at FMRI is a multidisciplinary unit, dedicated to offering the superior quality care to all new-borns, ranging from healthy neonates to sick or premature new-borns requiring close observation or intensive care.
The department boasts of some of the most advanced critical care diagnostic and treatment facilities; as well as being staffed with critical care experts to ensure quality and timely care. The division employs state-of-the-art technology to amplify their efforts. The department also provides widespread follow-up care plan to help families with the challenges of caring for a high-risk new-born and offer special follow-up care.
- LED phototherapy units
- 24 hours portable X Ray and Ultrasound
- Dedicated advanced neonatal ventilators
- Expert neonatal surgical unit with highest number of laparoscopic surgery
- NICU (Level 3 care)
- Umbilical Artery Catheterization
- Umbilical Venous Catheterization
- ROP Screening (Retinopathy of prematurity)
- Phototherapy (Single surface, double surface)
- Facilities for ventilation including high frequency ventilation.
- Facilities for parental nutrition.
- Set-up is equipped with all the gadgets required for monitoring and management of sick new-borns