Interventional Radiology is a specialty in which minimally invasive procedures are performed using image guidance(X-ray fluoroscopy-DSA suite, ultrasound, computed tomography [CT]). Procedures are done for either diagnostic purposes like angiography or for therapeutic purposes.
IR treatments are minimally invasive alternatives to surgery and most of procedures start with passing a needle through the skin(pinhole surgery).
IR includesvascular and non- vascular procedures. In vascular procedures either arterial or venous access is taken for diagnostic or therapeutic purpose like angiography, tumor embolization while non-vascular procedures doesn’t require any vascular access
Non vascular procedures
- Image (Ultrasound /CT)guided tissue or organ FNAC/ Biopsies including bone biopsies.
- Image guided catheter/pigtail drainage of simple or complex collection/abscess.Ascitic and pleural fluid drainage
- Percutaneous Nephrostomy and antegrade DJ stenting for obstructive nephropathy.
- Biliary procedures in obstructive biliopathy includingpercutaneous transhepatic biliary drainage (PTBD) , Bile duct stenting, percutaneouscholecystostomy, Biliary stricture balloon dilatation,Hepatico-jejunostomy stricture dilatation.
Liver Directed Procedures and Therapies
- Trans arterial chemoembolization(TACE) for liver tumors like HCC
- Trans arterial radio embolization(TARE) for liver tumors
- Ablative procedures for liver tumors- Radiofrequency ablation(RFA) and microwave ablation( MWA)
- Percutaneous acetic acid and alcohol installation for small liver tumors
- Portal vein embolization
- Percutaneous plugged liver biopsy and Transjuglar liver biopsy(TJLB) in patients with disarranged coagulation profile
- PAIR for hepatic hydatid cyst treatment
Interventions in Portal Hypertension
- Transjuglar intrahepatic Porto systemic shunt (TIPS) in liver disease patients for secondary variceal bleed control or treatment of recurrent uncontrolled ascites and pleural effusion
- Direct intrahepatic Porto systemic shunt(DIPS) in patient with Budd Chiari syndrome
- Hepatic venous / IVC angioplasty and stenting
- Balloon/Plug occluded retrograde trans venous obliteration of gastric varices (BRTO/ PARTO)
- HVPG for measuring portal hypertension
Embolization Procedures for Bleeding
- Bronchial artery embolization(BAE) for hemoptysis
- Uterine artery embolization for Post-partum hemorrhage , uterine AVM, fibroid size reduction
- Visceral artery embolization for GI bleed ,aneurysm /pseudoaneurysms bleed , tumor bleed , uncontrolled hematuria.
- Image guided tissue /tumor FNAC and Biopsy
- PICC line and Hickman line insertion for long term chemotherapy
- Embolization for uncontrolled life threatening tumor bleed
- Percutaneous gastrostomy in patients with upper digestive tract obstruction
- Image guided hook wire localization/Fiducial marker placement for breast cancer patients
- Ablative procedures like RFA/MWA for solid organ tumors
- Radiofrequency ablation (RFA) for benign bony tumors (osteoid osteoma)
- Chemical ablation of aneurysmal bone cyst
Peripheral and abdominal vascular intervention
- Diagnostic angiography and venography.
- Mesenteric artery(Celiac/SMA) angioplasty and stenting for chronic mesenteric ischemia
- Renal artery angioplasty and stenting for uncontrolled hypertension
- Mechanical and chemical thrombolysis for acute arterial thrombus involving limb arteries, mesenteric arteries and in acute deep venous thrombosis
- Upper and lower limb arterial angioplasty and stenting for impending limb gangrene, embolic/thrombotic vascular occlusion, diabetic foot for wound healing
- Central venous stenosis/ SVC obstruction angioplasty and stenting.
- AV fistula access maturation and venoplasty in kidney disease patients
- Peripheral limb Arterio-venous vascular malformation embolization
- Sclerotherapy for venous, venolymphatic malformations and hemangiomas.
- Varicose vein laser ablation
- Thoracic duct embolization for lymphatic leaks
Our technological prowess sets the ground for innovative research and helps us develop the most advanced patient care in a supportive environment. For example, our advanced imaging services such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), computed tomography scanning (CT), ultrasound, digital mammography and positron emission tomography (PET) help doctor conduct early and precise diagnosis of the situation which leads to better treatment.