The Department of General Surgery at FMRI continues to lead the way in improving patient outcomes with cutting-edge surgical care. It has played a great role in the history and the development of Fortis Memorial Research Institute since its inception. Our department’s commitment to shaping the future of surgery is clearly reflected by the number of cases dedicated to basic, clinical and outcomes research. The department specialises in performing all major surgeries related to abdomen, skin, breast, soft tissues, and hernia.
Besides this, our general surgeons also specialise in Laparoscopic surgery, which is also known as key-hole surgery or minimally invasive surgery and plays a great role in the field of gynaecology, gastroenterology and urology.
At FMRI, we are highly committed to providing the safest, compassionate and most result-oriented clinical care to enhance patient outcomes. Our surgeons are trained to treat a wide range of surgical conditions, and many have focused their training and expertise in a particular surgical specialty. Treating a high volume of patients has given them extensive surgical experience to complement their thoughtful and technically outstanding services.
Another hallmark of our department is outstanding collaboration. To provide the very best care, our surgeons regularly collaborate with leading specialists through an integrated network. Our General Surgery Department carries out a range of procedures including
- Breast Augmentation
- Breast Biopsy
- Breast Cancer Detection and Treatment
- Breast Cancer Surgery
- Breast Cancer: Local Treatment Options
- Breast Cancer: Lumpectomy and Partial Mastectomy
- Breast Examination After Treatment for Breast Cancer
- Chemotherapy for Breast Cancer
- Hormone Replacement Therapy and Breast Cancer
- Minimally Invasive Breast Biopsy
- MRI and Breast Cancer
- Options in Breast Surgery
- Preventive Breast Cancer Surgery
- Radiation Therapy for Breast Cancer
- CAPP Catheter Placement
- Esophagogastric Fundoplasty
- Laparoscopic Surgery
- Gastrointestinal malignancies
- Peritoneal carcinomatosis
- Gastric Bypass
- Exploratory Surgery
- Liver resection
- Radio Frequency Ablation (RFA) for liver tumours
- Retroperitoneal lymph node excision
- Laparoscopic and Open Hernia Repair
- Lipoma Excision
The Department of General Surgery at FMRI has a long tradition of excellence in clinical care, research, and teaching. It provides high-quality, personalized patient care, leading-edge research and comprehensive educational programs.
Over the years, Our General Surgeons are known for their flamboyant, vibrant adventurous nature and admirable leadership skills. The evolution of minimal access surgery over the past decade has further added significance to the general surgical department. We have some of the most advanced surgical technologies in place that are found to be really effective.
Our technologies include:
- Mini Gastric Bypass (MGB)
- Barium Meal
- CT Scan
- Doppler Studies
- Histopathological examinations
- Key Hole Technology
- ORI Fusion Digital Integrated Operation Theatres