Ans: Commonly, laparoscopic cholecystectomy (lap chole) is performed by four cuts (Multi port Cholecystectomy). These are:
- An 11 mm (½ inch) cut in the belly button. Through this port, a telescope is inserted which projects the pictures of inside of the abdomen on the TV console.
- Another 11 mm cut (port) in the upper part of the tummy close to the midline. Through this port instruments are used to dissect the gall bladder free from its attachments and clip the duct and artery of the gall bladder.
- A 6 mm (¼ inch) cut in the upper part of the tummy on the right side.
- Another 6 mm cut in the right upper abdomen halfway between port no 2 and 3.
- Through ports number 3 & 4, instruments are used to pull and fix the gall bladder for dissection.