Dr. Avnish Seth
Dr. Seth, MD, DM (Gastroenterology) is the Director of Gastroenterology & Hepatobiliary Sciences, Director of Transplant Hepatology and Director of Fortis Organ Retrieval Transplant (FORT). An Alumnus of Armed Forces Medical College, Pune, Dr.Avnish Seth completed his MD (Medicine) from Pune University and DM (Gastroenterology) from PGIMER, Chandigarh. Formerly, he was Head of Department of Gastroenterology and Transplant Hepatology at Army Hospital (Research Referral) and BLK Superspeciality Hospital, New Delhi. He established the first successful deceased donor liver transplant program in the public sector at Army Hospital (R&R) and was awarded the Vishisht Seva Medal by the President of India on 26th January 2009. He completed fellowships in liver transplant (Birmingham, UK) and endoscopic ultrasound (South Carolina and Alabama, USA). Dr.Avnish Seth is credited with performing the first stool transplant of the country for Ulcerative Colitis on 14th November 2014 and has several on-going research projects for stool transplant for IBD, IBS, Alcoholic liver disease, Parkinson’s and Metabolic syndrome. Formerly, Professor of Medicine at Delhi University, he has served as Governing Council member for the Indian Society of Gastroenterology (ISG) and Society of GI Endoscopy of India (SGEI) and has over 100 publications to his name. Dr. Seth has the distinction of pioneering organ donation after brain death in North India and was the Founder Director of the Armed Forces Organ Retrieval Transplant Authority (AORTA). The Seth-Donation of Organs and Tissues (S-DOT) score is widely used for assessment of hospitals for best practices in organ and tissue donation. He established the IDEAL(Immediate Donation of Eyes After Life) protocol, the first nursing and smartphone-based system in the country for counseling families for cornea donation. As a member of the Apex Technical Committee of NOTTO, he has established national SOPs on criteria for listing for liver transplantation and super-urgent allotment of the liver. As Chair of ‘Ang Daan Yojna’, the organ donation initiative by the Government of Haryana he has been instrumental in identifying and plugging gaps in organ and tissue donation.
- Fortis Hospitals Limited as Director Gastroenterology & Hepatobiliary Sciences,Director Transplant Hepatology & Director Fortis Organ Retrieval & Transplant (since 2012).
- Head, Department of Gastroenterology & Hepatology, BL Kapur Superspeciality Hospital, New Delhi (2009-2011).
- Professor & Head, Department of Gastroenterology at Army Hospital (Research & Referral), New Delhi (2004-2009)
- Associate Professor in Medicine & Gastroenterology at Kolkata & Delhi (1995-2004)
- Indian Society of Gastroenterology (ISG)
- Indian National Association for Study of Liver (INASL)
- Society for GI Endoscopy of India (SGEI)
- Indian Society of Organ Transplant (ISOT)
- Liver Transplant Society of India (LTSI)
- The Transplantation Society (TTS)
- International Society for Organ Donation and Procurement (ISODP).
- American Association for Study of Liver Disease (AASLD).
- Treatment of Acid Peptic Disorders, Ulcerative Colitis, Crohn’s disease, Abdominal Tuberculosis, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C
- Liver transplantation
- Ultra-thin GI Endoscopy, Endoscopic Ultrasound and Therapeutic GI endoscopy including ERCP
- Stool transplantation for Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Alcoholic liver disease, Parkinson’s and Metabolic syndrome.
- Deceased organ and tissue donation
- Vishisht Seva Medal for distinguished service by the President of India (26th Jan 2009)
- Vice Chief of Army Staff commendation (2006)
- Chief of Naval Staff award for best papers published in the field of Medicine in the Armed Forces (2003 and 2006)
- Smt Ranjana Vij Memorial medal for first position in MD (Medicine), University of Poona (1989)
- Over 150 publications and blogs