PREGNANCY DIET PLAN – Diet for Pregnant Women
Diet during Pregnancy should be well balanced with adequate amount of macro and micronutrients. Additional–350kcal Energy and 25gms proteins per day are required for a well-balanced pregnancy diet. You can also make a Pregnancy diet chart based on the suggestions below
Foods to avoid during pregnancy:
Fruits to eat during pregnancy:
All seasonal fruits can be eaten during the pregnancy. 2 – 3 servings of fruits are to be eaten during pregnancy are necessary. As per recent scientific researches, raw papaya and pineapple to be avoided during the first trimester of the pregnancy.
Food to eat during pregnancy:
A well balanced Pregnancy diet should include foods from different food groups. Small and frequent meals should be taken in order to meet the increased energy and protein requirements during the pregnancy. Plenty of hydration from natural sources like water, buttermilk/ lassie, milk, soups, lemon water, coconut water should be encouraged. More of seasonal fruits and vegetables should be consumed for a balanced Pregnancy diet.
Healthy diet tips during pregnancy:
Foods for pregnancy include from all the food groups. Some common increased requirements includes –
Energy requirements for Pregnant Women
- include All foods and drinks (except water), whole grain cereals, pulses.
Protein rich food for pregnancy
-Milk and milk products including paneer, curd, smoothies etc., egg /egg white, Meat fish and poultry, Beans & dals, Sprouts/ soya, Nuts are the protein food to be eaten during pregnancy.
Calcium rich food for pregnancy
- Foods rich in calcium are: milk, yogurt, cheese, whole grains, leafy vegetables, egg yolk are to be consumed for a calcium rich pregnancy diet
Vitamin C rich food for Pregnancy
– Foods include: citrus fruits and juices, tomatoes, strawberries, melons for a balanced Vitamin diet during pregnancy
Foods with Folic acid during Pregnancy
- dark green leafy vegetables, citrus fruits and juices, fortified breads and cereals, whole grains, liver and dried beans and peas are good sources of folic acid for pregnant women.
Iron rich Foods for Pregnancy
- Green leafy vegetables, fortified breads and cereals, meat, fish, and poultry, beans & dals, nuts & jiggery, food rich in Vitamin C, Cooking in iron pots and pans, Fermentation, sprouting are the iron rich food during pregnancy. Avoid tea/coffee with meals.